- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1 1/4 cup roasted unsalted almonds
- ¾ t kosher sea salt
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 C Italian “00” flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 300F. Butter a loaf tin and dust it with flour.
- Place the butter, sugar, and almonds in a food processor outfitted with a metal blade. Turn machine on and blend until the almonds are completely broken down and the butter and sugar are well mixed. Sprinkle over the salt and add the lemon zest and juice.
- With the machine running, slowly add the eggs one at a time. Once all the eggs are incorporated, remove the lid and add the flour, and sprinkle the baking powder evenly over the flour. Run the food processor for five to ten seconds until the flour and baking powder are just mixed in. Mix only enough to incorporate the flour but not too much as you will make the cake overly elastic and dense. The batter is now ready to be transferred to the prepared loaf tin.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes until golden brown and dense. Rest the cake in the tin on a wire rack for five to ten minutes to allow the edges to break free from the sides of the tin. Once cooled, flip the tin over a cutting board and the cake should fall out nicely. Slice and serve.
Note: The beauty of this recipe is that there is so much fat and sugar that it will be delicious for days.