- 3 cups unpasteurized, non-homogenized whole milk with cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons finely ground espresso beans, I like Stumptown Hairbender
- 1 double shot espresso
- 1 tablet of bittersweet organic chocolate, I like to use Mast Brothers, broken into smallish pieces
- Bring milk and half of sugar to a boil.
- Meanwhile whisk yolks with other half of sugar, salt, ground espresso, and brewed espresso and gently warm in a bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- Once milk comes to a boil, remove from heat and allow to cool a few minutes, then temper with egg yolks, and cook over a bain marie, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, until custard coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove custard from heat, strain through a fine mesh sieve, and set aside in the fridge to cool down.
- Once the custard has cooled completely, fold in chocolate pieces and spin in ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Once the ice cream is finished, set aside in the freezer for 20 minutes to finish setting up.