- 3 ounces butter, room temperature
- 2 cups Basil Aioli (recipe follows)
- 1½ cups Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 1 pound arugula
- 2 heads Bibb lettuce
- 2 pounds jumbo lump domestic blue crab meat
- 10 slices brioche bread
- salt and pepper
Pull butter out and let it come to room temperature.
Prepare the Basil Aioli and Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette (recipes follow). Set aside.
Basil Aioli Ingredients
- 2 cups olive oil
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 ounces lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 small glove of garlic
Basil Aioli Instructions
- Place garlic, olive oil, salt, and basil leaves in blender and purée for 30 seconds.
- Pour into bowl and place in fridge to chill.
- In a mixer, place egg yolks and lemon juice. Use the whisk attachment to emulsify the aioli.
- Remove oil from fridge and slowly drizzle it into the yolk mix while mixer is on medium high, being careful to create an emulsion.
- Once you have incorporated all the oil, transfer the aioli to a bowl and hold in the fridge, covered.
Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette Ingredients
- ½ cup preserved lemon, fine diced
- 1 shallot, fine diced
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup regular olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette Instructions
- Combine all ingredients and whisk together. Transfer and hold in fridge, covered, till ready to use.
- Wash the arugula, spin, and hold in towel in the fridge.
- Wash the Bibb lettuce, separating out 18 small leaves (3 per plate to hold crab salad), spin dry, and hold in towel in the fridge.
- Pick the crab meat of excess shells, trying to keep the lumps intact. Toss crab meat with ½ cup Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette, and hold in fridge, covered.
- Split the avocados lengthwise, remove the seed and skin, then slice avocados into approximately ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Spread 1 cup of Basil Aioli evenly over the 10 slices of brioche.
- Arrange sliced avocados onto aioli side of 5 slices, season with salt and pepper, and place top slice on each, aoli-side in.
- Evenly spread room-temperature butter onto both sides of each sandwich. Using a sandwich griddle, cook for about 4 minutes, till golden brown. Remove from griddle and cut the crust off the sandwiches, then cut each sandwich into 4 triangle pieces.
- Start by adding a bit of Basil Aioli to the plate.
- Place 3 Bibb lettuce leaves on each plate and spoon 1½ ounces of crab salad on each leaf. Place the warm sandwich triangles in between each of the Bibb & crab leaves.
- Toss the arugula with salt, pepper, and Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette – just enough to barely coat the greens – and evenly distribute the arugula into the center of the plate. Drizzle extra preserved lemon vinaigrette around the plate. Serve immediately.