- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry (17 ounce package), thawed (keep cold until use)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- Combine filling ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender and syrup is thick, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer apple mixture to a plate and chill in the refrigerator until cool to the touch, 20-30 minutes.
- Scramble egg and water in a small bowl.
- Place 1 sheet of puff pastry on a clean cutting board; reserve second sheet in the refrigerator.
- Divide pastry into 4 equal squares. Spoon 2 tablespoons apple mixture onto the center of each square.
- Brush the edges of each square with egg wash. Fold pastry diagonally over apple mixture and seal the edges with a fork.
- Place turnovers on a plate and refrigerate while preparing remaining turnovers. Repeat steps 4-6 with second sheet of puff pastry.
- Select AIRFRY/325°F/SUPER CONVECTION/20 minutes and press START to preheat oven.
- Place turnovers on airfry rack. Brush tops with egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Make 3 small slits in each turnover.
- Cook in rack position 4 until puffed and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tip: Use a pizza wheel to easily cut the puff pastry sheets.