Braised Delmonico Beef
- 1 3-pound Delmonico-cut steak (chuck roast)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces of roughly chopped peeled carrot (about 6 regular or 4 large carrots)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce (Mae Ploy)
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 12 ounces lager beer
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- optional for serving: Mashed potatoes
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Season the steak with salt and pepper, then dredge in the flour, shaking to remove excess. Set the slow cooker to seer and seer each side for 5 minutes. Add the carrots, onion and star anise.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the sweet chili sauce, brown sugar, garlic, chicken stock, beer, Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce until combined. Pour the liquid over the top of the meat.
- Change the setting to “slow cook” and braise for 6 hours.
- Gently remove the beef, skim the fat and serve with mashed potatoes if desired, serving the cooked vegetables with the meat.