- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 180g butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups (330g) granulated sugar
- 3 cups (450g) self raising flour
- 2 pink lady apples, cored and sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam, warmed and sieved Double cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 320°F. Grease and line a 25cm springform cake pan with baking paper.
- Assemble mixer with the scraper blade.Place eggs,milk, vanilla, melted butter, sugar and flour in the bowl.
- Slowly turn mixer to CREAMING/BEATING setting. Beat the mixture until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan and use a spatula to smooth top. Arrange apple slices over cake making sure that each apple overlaps each other. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Bake in oven for about 60 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted comes out clean.
- While cake is still in pan, brush apples with apricot jam and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Allow to cool for 5 minutes then remove from pan and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
Have all your ingredients measured out to save time and minimise the amount of time the apples have to start browning.