“This salad reminds me of foraging for wild mushrooms and wild vegetables when I worked at Mugaritz in the Basque country in Spain. You can use whatever wild salad greens you can find, I love using sorel and dandelion greens, but this salad is just as delicious with spinach.” —Chef Seamus Mullen
Ensalada de Espárragos
Salad of Marinated Green and White Asparagus, Roasted Morels, Fiddle head ferns, Bitter Greens, Parmesano Reggiano
- 1 bunch green asparagus
- 1 bunch white asparagus
- 1/2 pound fresh morels
- 1/4 cup dried morels
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup dandelion greens, sorel, or arugula
- 1/2 cup Parmesano Reggiano, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 3 cups olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup fresh herbs, torn into pieces (basil, parsley, sage, thyme, tarragon, etc.)
- For the asparagus, trim the tough ends, season with salt and pepper and toss with a thin film of olive oil. Using the Breville Smart Grill, grill over high heat until blackened and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove and marinate in 2 cups of olive oil with plenty of fresh herbs, a clove or two of garlic and even some citrus peel.
- For the mushrooms, soak the dried morels in boiling water for 15 minutes, strain and set aside, reserving the liquid for the vinaigrette. Soak the fresh morels in cold water for 5 minutes, changing the water three times to clean. On the Breville Smart Grill, lightly grill raw and dried mushrooms, with olive oil, butter, salt, and pepper until tender. Season with salt and pepper and set aside in a warm place.
- For the vinaigrette, mix the liquid from the dried morels with 1/4 cup white wine vinegar, season with salt and pepper, 1/2 clove of minced garlic, honey and mustard. Let mixture cool, then add to All In One and process thoroughly using the S-blade. With the blade running, drizzle in 1 cup of Arbequina olive oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the greens, asparagus and mushrooms, season with salt and fresh pepper, dress with vinaigrette and distribute on 4 chilled plates. Finish with a sprinkle of Parmesano Reggiano on each plate and torn fresh herbs.