Serves 6 – Ready in 25 minutes
Reader recipe provided by Justine Cooper, BC, Canada.
“Full of fibrous vegetables, this recipe keeps me feeling full but never fat.”
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 slices of fresh ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 4 large carrots, cut into medallions
- ½ head large chinese cabbage, finely chopped
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 20 large shrimp (about 5oz)
- 6 large sea scallops, halved
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, cut up small
- 1 cup red pepper, chopped
- Sea salt to taste groung black pepper, to taste
1. Heat oil in a large wok on medium-high heat. Add ginger slices, garlic, carrots, and cabbage. Bring to a boil and let simmer until cabbage and carrots are tender, about 5-7 min.
2. Add shrimp, scallops, and all remaining vegetables. Sauté for 5 minutes. Remove ginger slices and top with cilantro.
NOTE: Justine regularly turns this recipe into a soup by adding two liters of low-sodium broth. In a large pot, sauté the vegetables first, then add the broth and seafood; lower heat to let simmer, allowing flavors to meld.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 210, Total Fats: 3.5g, Saturated Fat: 0g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 175mg, Sodium: 390mg, Total Carbohydrates: 14g, Dietary Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 5g, Protein: 31g, Iron: 3mg
(Photo credit: Maya Visnyei)